Inflammation: Connecting the Dots
One of the major causes of inflammation are the foods we eat. If you currently have a diet high in sugar, high in hydrogenated vegetable oils such as those found in margarine, chips and baked goods, you are literally feeding the inflammation in your body. These foods actually create an inflammatory chemistry in your body.
Another major cause is being overweight. Did you know that fatty tissues in the body secrete hormones that regulate your immune system and inflammation. In an overweight individual, these hormones can get out of control. This can cause the fat itself to be self regulating causing hormones to be released that keep the appetite under control. However, in cases where the body is also inflamed there is often a problem causing a resistance to these hormones. When this occurs the the individuals appetite is not kept in check causing a vicious cycle of weight gain and chronic inflammation.
What are the signs of chronic inflammation
The classic signs are swelling, redness and pain. However, research has now found that there is another type of inflammation a much more sinister type called Silent Inflammation. Silent inflammation causes: Heart attacks, Cancer, Alzheimer’s and Diabetes to name just a few. Essentially “all” diseases and their progression are due to chronic inflammation.
One of the quickest ways to change how you feel on a regular basis, is to change how you eat. This sounds simple, but it’s not easy for a lot of people. Thoughtlessly eating whatever, is a recipe for disaster.
If you are in your mid thirties you probably have started noticing changes in your body. These changes in many instances, are due to chronic inflammation. I always tell my patients, pain is a good thing. Pain alerts us that something is wrong and we need to make changes. How we age is greatly determined on how well we listen to our body and how quickly we make changes.
These foods if eaten regularly, can reduce inflammation in the body and bring the problem under control. Below I will list some of these foods. Begin incorporating some of these foods into every meal also try to eliminate or reduce the foods listed in the first paragraph above that create inflammation in your body.
- Vegetables- Bell Peppers, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage Cauliflower, Chard, Collards, Fennel Bulb, Garlic, Green Beans, Onions, Kale, Leaks, Olives, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes and Turnip Greens.
- Herbs & Spices- Basil, Cayenne Peppers, Chili Peppers, Cinnamon, Cloves, Mint, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Thyme and Turmeric.
- Oils- Avocado Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Drinks- Green Tea
- Fruits- Acerola Cherries, Apples, Avocados, Black Currant, Blue Berries, Fresh Pineapple, Kiwi Fruit, Kumquats, Lemons, Limes, Mulberries, Oranges, Papaya, Raspberries, Strawberries and Tomatoes.
- Nuts & Seeds- Almonds, Flaxseed, Hazelnuts, Sunflower Seeds, Walnuts.
- Fish- Cod, Halibut, Herring, Oysters, Rainbow Trout, Salmon, Sardines, Snapper Fish, Striped Bass, Tune and White Fish.
Begin incorporating the above information today.
Yours in Health, Naturally!